Dispatches | November 12, 2010
Answers to the Top 20 Questions about Writing
- Don’t worry about that. It’s like snipe hunting.
- The word “chiaroscuro.” And any phrase that begins, “the geometry of. . . .”
- Probably, unless it’s the name of a childhood bully. In that case, your revenge will be leaving it unchanged.
- Kurt Vonnegut and Stephen King have both answered, “for one person,” and they’re pretty smart.
- No, that was Hunter S. Thompson.
- It isn’t a rule, but it is a rule of thumb and worth considering.
- Regular mail is fine.
- One million words. That’s what I was told, anyway.
- You’re kidding me, right? Is this issue really still up for debate?
- Sure you can. And it’ll make your parents proud. But it won’t leave you much time to write.
- Yes, but that’s a rare exception.
- Because the author might be lying, or might not even know for him- or herself.
- It isn’t bad advice if you don’t take it too literally.
- Joyce Carol Oates.
- Because she’s the faster runner.
- When you see the work in print. And maybe not even then.
- Of course it’s a perfect epigraph. Who do you think Thomas Parke D’Invilliers is, anyway?
- The truth is, you’ll never know.
Michael Kardos is the author of the story collection One Last Good Time, forthcoming in February 2011 from Press 53. His website is michaelkardos.com.
SEE THE ISSUE
Feb 28 2020
2020 Miller Guest Judge in the Spotlight: Alex Sujong Laughlin
2020 Miller Audio Prize Guest Judge Alex Sujong Laughlin shares her journey to becoming an audio producer, the lens through which she sees the world, and how TikTok makes her
Oct 15 2019
Last Call for Submissions to the Jeffrey E. Smith Editors’ Prize
The LASY DAY to enter TMR‘s Editors’ Prize has arrived And with it, the last call. The 29th Annual Jeffrey E. Smith Editors’ Prize Contest closes tonight! You have the rest of
Mar 08 2019
Interview with 2019 Miller Audio Prize Guest Judge Cher Vincent
Our guest judge this year, Cher Vincent (she/her), is an audio producer based in Chicago. She is currently Lead Audio Producer for One Illinois, a nonprofit news outlet, covering statewide news and producing